Stock Market Timings in India
Trading on equity segment takes place on all days of the week except Saturdays and Sundays and holidays declared by the Exchange. Let’s look at the Stock Market Timings of Indian Share Market
Stock Market Timings for Equity – NSE, BSE Timings
Stock Market Timings in India for NSE Opening in Equity segment is divided into three sessions, which are as follows –
- 9 am to 9.15 am – Pre Market Session for 15 Mins
- 9.15 am to 3.30 pm – Normal trading Session
- 3.40 pm to 4.00 pm – Post-market Session
NSE Pre Market Timings
NSE Pre Market Timings start from 9:00 am to 9:15 am.
This 15-minute duration of the NSE Pre-open market session is further categorized into three sittings that determine the order entry period and the order matching period.
9:00 am to 9:07 am
- During this stock market opening time, you can put the orders for any transaction.
- These orders are cleared off in the beginning, as the order entry is given preference when actual trading begins
- Any requests placed during this time can be changed or canceled according to need, which is beneficial to investors,
- You can place limit orders/market orders
9:08 am to 9:12 am
- No new orders can be placed.
- Orders placed earlier can not be modified
- The 9:08 am to 9:12 am session of NSE Pre-market timing determines price security.
- To ensure accurate transactions among investors who want to purchase or sell stocks, the price matching order is done by similar demand and supply prices.
- You can calculate the final estimates at which trading will begin during normal Indian stock market timing through a multilateral order matching system.
9:12 am to 9:15 am
- The 9:12 am to 9:15 am session acts as a buffer or transition period between pre-opening and Normal Trading Sessions of the Indian Stock Market.
- You cannot place any additional orders for transactions during this session.
The opening price of the normal session is calculated using a multilateral order matching system to reduce volatility.
To Summarise, you can place orders only for the first 8 minutes and that too for only equity segment.DematAccountOpen.com
Stock Market Timings – Regular NSE Trading Time 9:15-3:30 PM
After the NSE Pre Open Market session, the Regular Stock Market Trading session starts
Let us understand the Regular trading session and look at the timings of this Regular Stock Market Trading session in detail.
- The regular trading session duration of the Indian stock market is between 9:15 am to 3:30 pm.
- You can buy and sell the stocks or Mutual Funds in this session to book profits. This is the actual time where most of the trades take place.
Any transactions made during the regular trading session of the Indian stock market follow the bilateral order matching system.
Block Deal Timings
- Morning Block Deal Window: This window shall operate between 08:45 AM to 09:00 AM.
- Afternoon Block Deal Window: This window shall operate between 02:05 PM to 2:20 PM.
Stock Market Timings – Post Market Closing Session-3:30-3:40 PM
- The Share Market Closing time in India is at 3:30 pm.
- No Equity or derivatives exchange takes place after this period.
Share Market Timing for NSE Closing is from 3.30 pm to 3.40 pm is when the closing price is calculated using a weighted average of prices at stock trading from 3:00 pm to 3:30 pm.
The closing price calculation is done between 3:30 pm to 3:40 pm.
Stock Market Timings – Post Open Session – 3:40 – 4:00 pm
The Closing Session is held between 3:40-4:00 PM. This is when Post Market Orders can be placed in this session for the Equity segment only
- People can place buy/sell orders in equity (delivery segment using the CNC product code at the closing price of exchange
- For example, if the closing price of Infosys at 3:30 PM is Rs. 1000, between 3:40 PM and 4:00 PM, you can place market orders to buy/sell Infosys at a market price of Rs 1000
After Market Orders ( AMO) – Stock Market Timings
- AMO is allowed only between 3:45 PM and 8:59 AM for equity and up to 9:10 AM for F&O.
- For currency derivatives, AMO is allowed from 3.45 PM the previous day to 8:59 AM only.
- For commodity, AMO can be placed anytime during the day, orders will be sent to the exchange at 9:00 AM (MCX opening)
Stock Market Timings for Commodity Market – MCX Timings
Trading on the Commodity Derivatives segment takes place on all days of the week (except Saturdays and Sundays and MCX holidays declared by the Exchange in advance.
- Internationally Referenceable Non-Agri Commodities – 9 am to 11.30 pm – during daylight savings time – March to November (9 am to 11.55 pm – November to March)
- Internationally Referenceable Agri Commodities ( Cotton, CPO & RBDPMOLEIN) – 09.00 AM to 09.00 PM (9.00 AM to 9.30 PM – November to March)
- All Other Agri Commodities – 09.00 AM to 05.00 PM
*Commodity market timings or MCX timings have changed many times in the recent past due to the Covid-19 outbreak issue.
Check out MCX Trading Holidays list for 2020
Stock Market Timings for Currency
Currency markets are markets where one can trade currency pairs like INR /USD trades. Share market timing for the Currency Market is as follows
|Particulars||Stock Market timings for Currency futures and Options futures||Stock Market timings for Cross Currency Futures and Options|
|Normal Market Open Time||9:00 AM||9:00 AM|
|Normal Market Closing Time||5:00 PM||7:30 PM|
Cross-currency derivatives include contracts like EUR-USD, GBP-USD, and USD-JPY where INR is not a component in the currency pair. – From Zerodha
*Currently, the timings for the Currency market is 10:00 am to 2:00 pm due to Covid-19
Share Market Timing for Muhurat Trading Session
There is a special 1-hour trading session when Stock markets remain open on the auspicious occasion of Diwali festival in India. This Session of the Indian Stock Market is called a Muhurat Trading session and is usually a 1-hour duration in the evening from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm.
The exact timing is however announced by stock exchanges before Diwali.
The stock market in India is closed every Saturday, Sunday, and also on the BSE & NSE holidays.
What are Stock Market Timings in India?
Stock market timings in India for Equity is divided into three sessions, which are as follows –
9 am to 9.15 am – Pre Market Session for 15 Mins
9.15 am to 3.30 pm – Normal trading Session
3.40 pm to 4.00 pm – Post-market Session
Read more about the Stock market Timings and explore what happens in each session
What is NSE Pre Open Market Timings?
NSE Pre Market Timings start from 9:00 am to 9:15 am.
From 9:00 – 9:08 AM – Orders are collected, modified or canceled
From 9:08 – 9:15 AM – No new orders can be placed. Earlier placed orders are matched and trades are confirmed.
What are the NSE Trading Holidays 2020?
Check out NSE and BSE trading holidays here for 2020.
Best Discount Brokers to Open Demat Account
If you are looking to open a Demat Account with a Discount Broker who could offer cheap brokerage and Zero Charges on Stock Investing, please check out the table below and Open a Demat Account.
Link to Open